Saturday, October 15, 2011

What did you do today?















Do you know why there wasn't school on Friday? It's a statewide teacher inservice day. Which means that teachers get the opportunity to go to conferences and learn new things! I was in Eugene on the U of O campus. I graduated from U of O in 1990, so it was great to go back to my old stomping grounds. I joined 150 other art teachers for the OAEA art educators conference. I participated in several great workshops, my two favorite were sewing and glass blowing. In the sewing class I learned about a new tool that allows you to 'draw' with the sewing machine. It was super fun and I've already got my eye on buying a new sewing machine for the classroom.

Today I was in the U of O craft center learning how to blow glass. I have to admit I was terrified of all the hot molten glass and blow torches, I thought my hair was going to go up in smoke. Once I got over my fears I managed to crank out two glass ornaments. Here are some pictures of me in the hot shop.

So what did you do today? What did you learn? How did you challenge yourself?

7 comments:

  1. Wow Mrs. McBride! That looks like a lot of fun! A sewing machine would be pretty cool to have in the art room! :)
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm jealous you got to blow glass this weekend - i'm hoping to make another bowl over thanksgiving. lets see... today i drove home from sunriver.. i learned to have more patience haha the trafic was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. McBride!!! I am so jealous! that looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! That is something I really want to do. Yesterday we met the mayor for NCL and he was a pretty nice guy

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was in missoula montana and i found this cut little bead shop and this lady taught me how to make tradition native american jewlery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so cool! I just slept in.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! How fun, I've always wanted to learn how to blow glass. I babysat went to the football game and read... not the most exciting day.
    ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete